New Service Request

Welcome to the Copeville Special Utility District Community. 


What do I need to setup a water service account? 

  • Complete our online Customer Service Agreement (found under the forms & reports / all reports section) attach a copy of your lease or warranty deed along with your ID.
  • $200.00 Non-Refundable Administration Fee
  • $50.00 Reconnect Fee (Only required if the previous resident has discontinued their service)
  • $75.00 Customer Service Inspection.
  • Backflow Inspection - required yearly if you have a lawn irrigation system (Our office will tell you if this applies to your property)
  • We may need a notarized Right of Way Easement.  If needed we will create this after your deed has been received.

Dear Water Customer,

As part of the Copeville SUD Cross Connection Control/Customer Service Inspection Program, the SUD has partnered with SC Tracking Solutions, LLC (SCTS) to provide an online catalog and tracking tool for annual water service Backflow Prevention Assembly/CSI testing for commercial businesses, residential properties and educational facilities.  This new web-based format will simplify current processes and help ensure that inspections are performed in accordance with local ordinances and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulations [30 TAC 290.44 (h) ( 4)].

Below are the anticipated timelines and actions that will take place in relation to this change:

April 25, 2023: Notices will go out to businesses, residents, and educational facilities that have inspections due in the following thirty-five (35) days.  Your letter will include a Catalog Number that has been issued to your address.  This number will be used by a registered BPAT/CSI to enter the testing results on the SCTS web-based tool, and can also be used in case you would like to track inspection results online. To view this information, please visit and use the “Need a Provider” area of the webpage.


What if I have a leak?


Any questions please contact our office at 972-853-4630.  We look forward to serving your water needs.

Our physcial address is 16120 FM 1778, Nevada, TX 75173

Coming from Hwy 78 you will turn at the 4-way blinking lights on to CR 549,  take that all the way to the stop sign, take a left and immediately right to come across the railroad tracks. You will now be on FM 1778 we will be on the right hand side after a couple churches and homes in a large grey metal building.


Other Service Providers

Electric Providers                                           

Farmers Electric Co-operative 903-455-1715

First Choice – 1-566-469-2461

TXU - 1-800- 242-9113

Propane Providers

Ameri Gas – 1-800-442-1738

Collins Propane – 972-442-1078

Red River Gas – 1-800-750-2374

Trash Providers

Barnes Waste – 972-734-3333

Change Recycling 903-751-1411

Homeland Waste Management – 972-454-9005

Roberts Trash – 972-736-2541


Frontier 1-877-703-5488

Rise Broadband – 844-411-7473

Shout Broadband 214-307-4688

WI-Five – 469-447-4076


ATT – 1-800-986-6020

Frontier – 1-800-921-8102

Satellite Television

Direct TV – 1-888-777-2425

Dish – 1-888-825-2557

United States Post Office

Copeville - 15104 CR 549 Copeville, TX 75121 (po box rentals & mail drop off only)

Nevada - 102 S FM 1138 Nevada, TX 75173

Farmersville - 213 McKinney ST Farmersville, TX 75442


 Collin County Offices

Development Services (permits) – 972-548-5585


City of Farmersville - Waste Water Billing (Lakehaven Developement)



Times to Water Times to Water

Relevant Documents